Our Data for Agricultural Development Practice aims is to support the implementation of evidence informed policies that propel the continent towards agricultural transformation. The work of the practice is informed by the Malabo Declaration on Accelerated Agriculture Growth and Transformation for Shared Prosperity and Improved Livelihoods. The practice’s approach seeks to improve availability of data for decision-making and strengthen multi-stakeholder spaces in influencing policy for agricultural transformation.
The practice has a particular focus on the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Program (CAADP) elements related to expansion of agro-industry and development of inclusive agriculture value-chains. We believe these drive progress towards wealth creation, poverty eradication, improving food security and strengthening resilience of rural communities in Africa.
The program’s objectives are informed by LDRI’s strategic goals for the period 2016 to 2020:
- Strengthening the Africa data ecosystem for planning, monitoring and review of interventions to drive agricultural transformation in Africa
- Supporting inclusive processes for evidence-driven policy on expansion of agro-industry and value chains for inclusive agricultural transformation in Africa
- Building capacity of stakeholders to make their data on agriculture value chains openly accessible to others
The practice’s expected outcomes are achieved through implementation of discrete projects and contribute to LDRI’s results framework for the period 2016 to 2020. They are:
- Increased investment in public institutions to improve availability and access of data and statistics on agro-industry and agriculture value chains.
- Establishment of multi-stakeholder spaces on data for Agricultural Transformation to facilitate sharing of knowledge and data as well as application of evidence in policy.
- Increased recognition of multi-stakeholder spaces by the public sector through adoption of resolutions emanating from these spaces by relevant institutions
- Increase in portals and initiatives by non-state actors to publish their data
- Increase in data & technology literacy initiatives for non-state actors that improve use & dissemination of data/statistics on agricultural transformation.