The Research Assistant will support the work undertaken by the Local Development Research Institute (LDRI) under the Africa Open Data Network Program. The Assistant will conduct legal and factual research on topics relevant to Kenya’s Openness agenda since 2011 and assess their impact and gaps that remain. Over a 5-month period, the Research Assistant will work under the supervision of the Open Government Fellow. While this position will be based in the Nairobi office, LDRI has put in place mechanisms to allow teams to work from home.
• Conduct research and prepare internal briefings on laws and policies relating to Access to Information, Open Data, Data Protection, Beneficial Ownership, Open Contracting, Inclusion and human rights among others;
• Support the Fellow in compiling information from interviews with Open Government Partnership Assisting the Fellow in planning and implementing consultative meetings and events
• Edit, format and proof-read documents
• Monitor events at international and national levels which are relevant to the work as required
• Attend team meetings and external meetings, as required.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent level of experience in Law
• Experience of undertaking research in an academic or professional setting
• Good understanding of Access to Information Law, Data Protection, Privacy law, Anti-Corruption issues
• Good knowledge of human rights law
• Experience of working in a not-for-profit organisation or legal environment
• Excellent and advanced legal research, analysis and writing skills (essential)
• Reliable and understands the importance of meeting deadlines (essential)
• Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative manner
within a multi-disciplinary and multicultural environmental
• Core IT skills (able to use MS Office, Internet, databases, teleconferencing and social media (essential).
Please send a CV, cover letter, and two recommendations (one academic required) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 June 2020 with the subject, “Open Government Research Assistant”